Jamestown

Ngadjuri Country
Jamestown, named after Scottish-born Governor, James Fergusson, was surveyed in 1871. Early residents believed the future economic development of the town was directly linked to becoming a major rail junction, but instead, the line was extended to Peterborough and eventually through to Silverton and Broken Hill.
Jamestown then shifted its focus to agriculture and associated industry and became a hub for the provision of food stuffs, chaff for animals and building materials for Broken Hill and other mining settlements. Jamestown is the home of John Cockburn who would one day become Premier, Sir Raphael Cilento who was knighted for his services to medicine, and William Curnow who created Bundaleer Forest as a sustainable source of timber. Bundaleer is regarded as the birthplace of Australia’s commercial forest industry.
The original Jamestown Railway Station (at right) Photo: SLSA B17774
Jamestown Railway Station, National Trust Museum
The Jamestown railway station was completed about 1878 and was constructed of timber. It was deliberately burned down in December 1884 and only a year later, was replaced with a grand stone building replete with refreshment rooms for travellers and staff travelling on one of the forty trains passing through daily. Operating until 1925, the popular refreshment room held a wine licence. Sir Raphael Cilento, who aided in the discovery of a cure for tropical disease, spent his childhood living in the Station Master’s House. The station is now owned by the National Trust of South Australia and is a social history museum. Photo: Topbunk